Health and Wellness Services
Good health is essential for academic success. Fisher supports the health and wellness of each student by providing accessible health care for all students, programs to promote healthy choices, and enhance the overall wellness of the Fisher College Community.
The Health Services Office provides assessment, treatment, or referral for illness or accidents that occur within the Fisher Community. The goal of the Health Services Office is to teach students to become increasingly self-reliant and able to make sound judgments about taking care of themselves. While in-house services are free, the student is financially responsible for all referred service.
Health Service Summer Hours
|Day of Week||Hours|
|Monday- Thursday||8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.|
|Friday - Weekend||CLOSED|
College is a time of excitement, change, and challenge. Most students experience various personal, emotional, and/or interpersonal concerns. During these times, it can help to reach out to support from friends, family, academic advisors, spiritual supports, and professional counseling. Fisher College’s Counseling Services is here to help our students to make the best of their college experience. We offer free and confidential counseling, brief therapy, on-going treatment, crisis counseling, support groups, as well as referrals to off-campus therapists. All referred services are charged to the student.
Counseling Service Hours
|Day of Week||Hours|
|Monday||10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.|
|Thursday||9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Friday||10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.|
*call 617-236-8853 to make an appointment
Leave of Absence Policy
Students that have a medical, psychological or personal situation that impacts their ability to successfully complete their studies may apply for a leave of absence. A leave of absence will result in withdrawal from current semester classes but not withdrawal from the College. Students can remain in this status for up to 2 years (4 consecutive day school semesters or 8 consecutive Graduate and Professional Studies terms). To apply for a leave of absence contact Dean Nancy Pithis to obtain complete instructions. When ready to return, please contact the Dean again to file the return request form and provide appropriate documentation to establish your ability to return to the College.
If students are receiving federal financial aid and withdraw or take a leave of absence from the College, they may be subject to the federal Return of Title IV Aid and state financial aid return policies.
NOTE: Students must notify Financial Aid about any change in planned period of enrollment, whether due to withdrawal from a class, a leave of absence, a change academic division, or withdrawal from the college.
Short-term Medical Condition
A leave of absence is a temporary leave from Fisher College and is valid for up to two (2) years.
- Meet with Nancy Pithis to discuss the leave process
- Complete all necessary leave of absence paperwork
- Submit all of the documentation to Nancy Pithis
- Financial responsibility is determined by the date the student takes the LOA. Please see the Bursar’s Office and Financial Aid Office for details.
- Resident students who withdraw or take an LOA are required to vacate Fisher College housing within 24 hours of the effective date. The Housing staff will assist students with the “check-out” process to ensure that keys are returned and a room condition report is completed. Failure to properly complete this process will result in fines. In addition, given Fisher College’s limited residence hall space, students returning from a leave will be offered on-campus housing pending availability. On-campus housing is not guaranteed for students returning from leave.
- International students seeking to take an LOA should consult with Dean Nancy Pithis regarding immigration service regulations (including completion OPT eligibility).
- Students returning from their Leave of Absence must complete the appropriate forms and receive approval to return, in order to register for classes.
Leave of Absence Request Form (use for personal or medical leave)
Readiness to Return from a Medical Leave of Absence (completed by the student’s healthcare provider)