About the Sociology Bachelor Degree
The Bachelor of Arts in Sociology program introduces students to a wide spectrum of concepts, relationships, and theories associated with the interaction between, groups, individuals, and society. Sociology allows students to explore the social forces that impact our lives including the primary institutions of the family, education, religion, economy, and government. The program provides students with the opportunity to evaluate social phenomena from various perspectives. The core courses provide foundational learning while a broad selection of electives will allow a student to specialize in an area of interest.
- Discuss important aspects of society such as the social structure, the primary social institutions, and social problems;
- Understand and apply sociological theories to social situations;
- Demonstrate an understanding of social science research as it applies to the field of sociology;
- Employ research methods to evaluate social phenomena; and
- Understand contemporary social problems and how the understanding of sociology can foster solutions.
Sociology Career Track
The program readies students for entry-level employment and subsequent career advancement in various fields including public and private social service organizations and settings. Additionally, the skills provided through a sociology degree are beneficial and transferable to careers in many disciplines including the business world such as marketing, human resources and public relations. Likewise, this program provides foundational knowledge to support professions within the criminal justice and correctional system. Sociology majors can be found in nearly any organization and profession thanks to the transferable skills associated with knowledge and understanding of individuals and society.