Health Information Technology (AS)
This program will provide students with the opportunity to develop the following competencies and the ability to:
- Demonstrate effective, professional written and oral communication skills with consumers and co-workers.
- Use and apply critical thinking skills and basic health information management principles to recognize, analyze, and solve problems.
- Perform and interpret math calculations related to descriptive healthcare statistics.
- Use current technology to access and process health information.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary for entry-level health information competencies.
- Practice in a legal, ethical, and professional manner by demonstrating responsibility, initiative, and positive attitudes toward those of diverse backgrounds and to work in teams in a healthcare setting.
- RHIT Exam Pass Rate: During the reporting cycle of August 2020 through July 2021, Fisher College had an 100% pass rate for first time test takers on the RHIT national exam.
- Graduation Satisfaction: 100% of graduate respondents reported a high level of satisfaction with the HIT program on the 2020-2021 survey.
- Employer Satisfaction: 100% of employer respondents reported a high level of satisfaction with graduates on the 2020-2021 survey.
Learning Format: Online
Term Length: 8-weeks
Typical Time to Completion*:
12 terms; 24 months
Transfer Credits: Students may transfer in up to 34 credits
Grade Requirement: Students must earn a C or higher in all courses taken for this degree.
Students with National Certification through AHIMA, AAPC, or AAMA, and those currently employed in a coding position, may be eligible for credits through Prior Learning Assessment.
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
Graduates of the Health Information Technology program are eligible to apply for the RHIT credential with successful completion of the credentialing exam. Exam information and resources are provided through the AHIMA website. Students are encouraged to keep all textbooks and study materials, and participate in the RHIT Exam Prep course to help prepare for the exam.
RHIT Exam Prep Course
To help students prepare for the certification exam, Fisher College offers an RHIT Exam Prep Course.
This online, 8-week RHIT exam preparation course is designed as a comprehensive review of health information administration, regulations and standards in preparation for the RHIT national credentialing examination through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Additional topics covered include test-taking tips, preparing quality resumes and cover letters, and honing job interview skills to secure employment in the healthcare industry.
*Based on continuous enrollment of two courses every term. Time to completion may be shorter based on eligible transfer credit or longer if course enrollment varies.