Communication and Media Studies (BA)
About the Communication and Media Studies Bachelor Degree
The Bachelor of Arts in Communication and Media Studies program at Fisher College is an interdisciplinary program that combines courses in communication, advertising, public relations, journalism, and video production. The program considers media industries and their relationship to culture and society, and helps students develop a more nuanced understanding of how communication works. By emphasizing both theoretical and applied perspectives, students acquire the skills to become competent communicators and media literate consumers of informative and persuasive messages.
Understand how new technology, the economy, the legal system, business, and societal values influence our communication conduct and media industry practices.
- Conduct and apply relevant audience analysis research to message construction in order to achieve targeted communication goals and objectives.
- Construct professional communication messages in the written formats (ads, press releases, news stories, and blogs) commonly used in media industries.
- Prepare presentations informed by the traditions of rhetoric and the best-practice uses of presentation software.
- Develop web-page design or digital video production skills needed to communicate effectively in online media environments.
- Interpret and critique media texts from various humanistic methodologies and perspectives to better understand how messages are constructed and audiences interpret meaning.