Health Information Management (BS)
About the Health Information Management Bachelor Degree Concentration
- Collect, analyze, monitor, maintain, retrieve, and report healthcare data in accordance with quality assurance principles
- Use critical thinking as a framework for decision making in information systems issues in a variety of settings
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with clients, and members of the health care team
- Practice in a legal and ethical manner exhibiting accountability for all actions
- Synthesize knowledge from health information management and other disciplines to promote optimal information system function.
- Graduation Satisfaction: 100% of graduate respondents reported a high level of satisfaction with the HIM program on the 2019 survey.
- RHIA Exam Pass Rate: During the reporting cycle of August 2018 through July 2019, Fisher College had a 75% pass rate for all test takers on the RHIA national exam.
- Employer Satisfaction: 100% of employer respondents reported a high level of satisfaction with graduates on the 2019 survey.
Health Information Management Career Track
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook Medical and Health Services Managers, https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm (visited December 29, 2018).
-American Health Information Management Association at http://www.ahima.org/careers/healthinfo (visited January, 11, 2019)
*After completion of Association in Science in Health Information Technology, and based on continuous enrollment of two courses every term. Time to completion may be shorter based on eligible transfer credit or longer if course enrollment varies.
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
Graduates of the Health Information Management program are eligible to apply for the RHIA credential with successful completion of the credentialing exam. Exam information and resources are provided through the AHIMA website. Students are encouraged to keep all textbooks and study materials, and participate in the RHIA Exam Prep course to help prepare for the exam.
RHIA Exam Prep Course
To help students prepare for the certification exam, Fisher College offers an RHIA Exam Prep Course.
This online, 8-week RHIA exam preparation course is designed as a comprehensive review of health information administration, regulations and standards in preparation for the RHIA national credentialing examination through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Additional topics covered include test-taking tips, preparing quality resumes and cover letters, and honing job interview skills to secure employment in the healthcare industry.