Maintaining F-1 Student Status

As an International student, you are responsible for maintaining your legal immigration status. The International Student Advisor is available to help you comply with all immigration and employment regulations; however, it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure you stay "in status" throughout your time at Fisher College and in the U.S.

To remain in status, an F-1 student must:
  • Arrive on campus no later than your program start date (see your I-20) and report in person to CIPS during the International Student Orientation. This applies to both newly admitted and transferring-in international students.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment and normal progress toward the completion of your degree or program of study. Every student in F-1 status must be registered full-time each semester, except during designated vacation periods (Summer). The minimum full-time requirement is 12 credits.
  • On-line course limitation: students are prohibited from taking more than one class of on-line coursework per term to count toward their full-time enrollment status.Obtain prior authorization from CIPS before dropping below a full course of study.Notify CIPS of your address when you arrive to the U.S. and each time you change your address while in the U.S. within 10 days. Any changes in your academic status (e.g., early program completion, change of major, change of program or degree, etc.) must be reported to CIPS within 10 days of change, so we can update your SEVIS record accordingly. Do not accept any employment, either on- or off-campus without written permission from CIPS and/or authorization from the U.S Department of Homeland Security. Please contact CIPS for detailed information on employment authorization.
  • Obtain an extension of your academic program, before your I-20 document expires. Before leaving the U.S. for travel during your study at Fisher please make sure that you have the following documents: a valid passport,an unexpired F-1 visa in your passport, and a valid unexpired I-20 with a valid travel signature. Note: request for travel signature must be submitted to the CIPS at least 4-5 business days before you plan to leave.

Students who fall out of status by violating the terms of the F-1 visa must apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) for reinstatement to valid F-1 visa status. The International Student Advisor can provide valuable assistance in such cases.


search login