Peer Mentor Program
Peer Mentor Program
Become a Peer Mentor
Share your experience and become a role model to the incoming class!
Peer mentors in the Common Experience Program are students who demonstrate a positive attitude, enthusiasm for Fisher College, and a willingness to provide insight into one's own first-year experience to the incoming class.
The student mentors selected for The Common Experience are vital members of the program. Each instructor is assigned a mentor to his/her class section. Mentors assist the instructor by monitoring class attendance, selecting and organizing class activities, facilitating online class discussions, leading in-class ice-breakers, and assist with other duties as needed.
Interested in becoming a peer mentor?
The connections peer mentors make with first-year students are perhaps the most influential of the Common Experience. Interested students should contact Jennifer Mandolese at email@example.com for more information.
Download Peer Mentor Application.
Download College 101 Peer Mentor Application.
The Common Experience requires that peer mentors meet the following qualifications:
- A GPA of at least 2.0.
- Students must not be currently on judicial sanction.
- Recommendation from a faculty member
While mentoring is hard work, it can also be a very rewarding experience. The following are just a few of the benefits of the position:
- Develop the opportunity to guide a small group of students through their first experience at Fisher College
- Develop and enhance leadership skills, including: group facilitation, professional communication, public speaking skills, and interpersonal skills
- Assist Fisher College in fulfilling its mission of success for students
- Receive training in communication, group dynamics and facilitation, and leadership skills
- Receive hands-on experience in a leadership role which can be listed on a resume
- Establish a meaningful relationship with other students
- Establish relationships with faculty and staff members
- Receive Peer Mentor Leadership Stipend in the amount of $500.00
Some quotes from Peer Mentors about their experiences:
"Mentoring for this fall semester was much more rewarding than I expected, it was an experience I will surely never forget. Having a small class allowed me to learn more about the students in my class and the professor was wonderful, it was a great semester and I just hope they enjoyed it as much as I did."-Cristiana Gonzalez
"Being a Peer Mentor has been a great experience. I learned to conquer my fears by being myself and speaking out loud in front of a group of students. It gives me the opportunity to communicate more effectively and see the bigger picture."-Shorona Lallsingh
"As cliché as it may sound, I truly learned a lot from my freshmen year at Fisher College and I feel it is imperative to share what I learned with incoming students who are just as nervous as I was. Sitting in on this class every Wednesday reminded me how important I am to this class, and most of all how much I could impact their view on this college. I truly valued how appreciated my advice was perceived by a student when I was asked to meet with this individual personally to listen as they confided in myself."-Paige Switzer
"Overall my Peer Mentor experience was very special to me. I got to help freshman in any way and they also taught me a lot! I would do this over 1000 times if I could. It was more rewarding then I could have ever imagined, the students had a big impact on me!" -Kristina Phu