Computer Information Systems
Computer Information Systems
Students new to the field of Computer Information Systems will find a solid foundation in this associate degree program. Students will be grounded in a two-semester course sequence in programming with Alice 2.0 or Karel J. Robot as an introductory visual preprogramming tool and will apply these programming concepts in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 using Visual Basic and C++. Unique in this program is the use of Robotics to reinforce programming concepts and apply them in a systems setting.
All students of this program are required to complete eight computer science courses of three credits each. With this A.S. degree, graduates are especially qualified for positions in information technology support.
- Comprehensive curriculum covering networking, operating systems, multimedia, programming, databases and web development.
- Unique approach to learning programming using Robotics
- Can be taken as a stand-alone A.S. or BSM concentration and with no loss of credits from students transitioning from the A.S. to BSM degree.
- Required internship component
- Future CS electives such as Geographic Information Systems, Computer Vision & Applications and Computer Security & Applications
|First Year||Credit hours|
|CS101||Computer Concepts and Applications||3|
|CS210||Database Design and Management
|CS245||Management Application and Information Systems
|MG201||Principles of Management||3|
|Second Year||Credit hours|
|MK201||Principles of Marketing|
|CS205||Computer and Systems Programming I
|CS220||Service Desk Essentials
|CS233||System and Network Fundamentals
|CS234||Web Site Programming and Development||3|
|CS243||Systems Analysis and Design||3|
|Social Science Elective||6|
|* May test out and take a CS course as an alternative.|
|* A higher level of math (MA107, MA109, MA110 or MA121) may be substituted.
Minimum credits required for graduation--60.
Potential Careers and Earnings
- Information Technology Departments of various types of corporations, non-profit entities, local government and state agencies
- Retail Technology Stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Micron Center
- I.T. Consulting Companies
- I.T. departments of service and education organizations (i.e. hotels, K-12 schools, colleges and universities, car dealerships, etc.)
Potential locally and regional headquartered organizations
- Local Marriot hotels
- Local Westin hotels
- The BackBay Group
- J.Jill Corporation
- T.J. Maxx
- Fisher College Information Systems Department
- Herb Chamber Group of Companies
- IRA Motors
- Boch Group of companies
- Local area colleges and universities
- Local non-profit organizations
My love of computers began when my family purchased one of the earliest home computers, the Apple II. Being the first kid on my block with a real computer opened my eyes to the amazing technological metamorphous that is enriching all of our lives.Since that fateful day long ago, I earned a Bachelor of Science in Marketing and an MBA in Computer Information Systems from Florida Atlantic University. While a graduate student, one of my professors selected me to work as a graduate teaching assistant in the Information Systems department. This was the start of my multi-tasking life, working in the business world during the day and teaching as an adjunct professor at night.
In the business world, I wore many hats. I have rolled out groupware to a salesforce, written code as a programmer, facilitated application development as a business analyst, become a consultant, and conducted corporate training. However, I found my true calling in teaching college students how to use technology so that they will be successful in the business world.
At Fisher College, I have finally merged my two passions. I am lucky enough to teach full-time and to teach what I love. I am an assistant professor and also the program director for the Computer Information and Systems degrees. I teach both entry-level and advanced courses for this major.
Whether you are a business student or computer student, technology is waiting for you after graduation. Together, we will prepare you for the career that is YOUR passion!